Substitute Decision-Makers

You may also wish to discuss who might be a good person to act on your behalf and be your voice if you can no longer speak for yourself. In Tasmania, you may wish to formally appoint an enduring guardian. An Enduring guardian can make healthcare and place of care decisions for you.

If you do not appoint an enduring guardian, the Guardianship and Administration Act (1995) has a hierarchy of people who would be your person responsible. This may include your spouse, unpaid carer, adult child or someone who knows you well. A person responsible can only make health care decisions for you.

Enduring guardians and persons responsible are also known as substitute decision-makers.

It will be important to think carefully about choosing your substitute decision-maker. You can find more information to assist you in this process on the Advance Care Planning Australia Website HERE.

For more information about appointing an enduring guardian or other matters relating to guardianship, administration, enduring powers of attorney, emergency situations, statutory wills, consent and other decision-making abilities, please visit the Tasmanian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (TASCAT) HERE.

Talking about your wishes and planning for your future healthcare with the people who are important to you, along with your GP or medical professionals involved in your care, will ensure everyone is on the same page.

Advance Care Planning is an ongoing process that involves regular discussions because it’s important to recognise that our preferences and goals or wishes may change over time. It will be important that you speak to your doctor during this process as they can provide you with information and advice regarding your current health situation and what may happen in the future.